Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I’d like to know if my medications are conflicting

Customer Question

Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’ve had my thyroid removed and I take Amitriptyline and Levothyroxine I’ve been feeling very anxious
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

There are no significant drug interactions between Levothyroxine and Amitriptyline.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

Yes, can you see my response above?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
your looking st my question ? Right ?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

I’ll post it again:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh I’m not feeling very well at all and I think that my medications aren’t working together ?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

There shouldn’t be any problem at all with taking these two medications together.

Of course, I would recommend that you have an up-to-date thyroid test to ensure the level of replacement is correct.

What dose of Amitriptyline are you taking and why are you taking it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’ve had my thyroid removed I’m on 180 Amitriptyline and was on 150 thyroxine...I started getting panic attached and high anxiety so the thyroxine has been put down to 100 and I’m not so bad? It just doesn’t seem right ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My recent blood test on 29/10 TSH Level is 34.53
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’ve taken Amitriptyline for years fro anxiety and depression
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’ve been done on it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Until now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
fine on it
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

It seems that your thyroid is significantly under-replaced now (TSH normal range is usually 0.1 - 4.0) - it was quite a large dose reduction to go from 150 -> 100mcg and I suspect this will be contributing to you feeling poorly now.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 months ago.

Just a courtesy follow up as I did not hear back from you.

Did this answer your question?