Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Do hiv tests pick up hiv that was caught in Africa?

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

HIV 4th generation testing can pick up if there is HIV in the body irrespective of the place or mode of aquirement of the virus.

But there is a window period for this.

If you suspect that there has been at unprotected sexual intercourse which can transmit HIV please go ahead with the testing as per World Health organisation protocol.

I would suggest a 4th generation HIV testing at 28 days and then repeat test at 3 months.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have had a rapid test after 4 months and a duo tests after 5 months I wanted to know if this test will pick up the group o and n and the subtypes?

You can be 100% sure.

As of date the tests are pan sensitive for all the sub-types.

If you are worried about potentially getting HIV, then you need the most accurate test possible. Many types of drug tests are inaccurate at the early stages (which is not the case here as already month have elapsed), but this is not true for the HIV RNA test accuracy. The HIV RNA test is actually more accurate than other types of HIV test even though it is done far earlier than other types of tests. Thanks to the polymerase chain reaction process used during testing, even damaged fragments of HIV RNA are not missed. When performed correctly, HIV RNA test is over 99.89% accurate.

When regulating STD tests, the FDA requires measurements on both the sensitivity and the specificity of the test. A test’s sensitivity is its ability to actually identify a person with the disease. The HIV RNA test used by STDcheck.com has a sensitivity rating of 100 percent which means it never mistakenly tells an HIV positive person that they are HIV free. Specificity is used to tell the accuracy of a test in identifying people who do not have HIV. The specificity rating of the HIV RNA test is at 99.89 percent which means that in very rare situations, a person might get a false negative.

Though the early detection test for HIV RNA is extremely accurate, we understand that you do not want to take any chances with your health. There is more risk of a false positive than a false negative with the HIV RNA test because it is so sensitive that it can detect trace amounts of HIV RNA from your exposure even if you are not actually infected.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks doctor I did have a pcr rna test after 10 days of exposure

Then it is conclusive - be 100% rest assured please.

May I request for a 5 - star positive rating so that I can get my professional credit please!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks doctor

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Kind regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani