Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I was woken up in the middle of the night by a recurring

Hi! I was woken up in the middle of the night by a recurring sharp stabbing pain in my left ankle. It lasted for a second or two and repeated itself every 30 seconds or so
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: It first occurred on Sunday evening, and again last night. I tried Savlon but that had no effect. Neither did Hedex
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I suffer from gout but take tablets for that and this problem isn't gout related - the symptoms are different. Gout is a persistent throbbing pain

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?

- Any other medical problems?

- Any other medications?

- Any associated symptoms e.g. swelling, tenderness, skin changes, back pain etc?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm a 71 years old male. On Sunday my wife dragged me out for a LONG walk and i took a lump of skin off the back of my left ankle. My wife cleaned it all up and it was fine until I got woken up by the stabbing pains aforementioned. The area is a bit tender, but not swollen. I wouldn't say there were any related symptoms
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The stabbing pains have only occurred while I'm in bed. I don't get any during the day

Okay, thank you.

There is likely to be some mild arthritis to this ankle that the long walk has flared up. Symptoms tend to be more prominent at night as the joint is immobilised, allowing inflammation/fluid to accumulate. It should respond favourably to anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Naproxen etc. Taking these orally will be most effective, however if this is not suitable for you then topical application (i.e. a gel or cream) should also work well.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I do have arthritis, but (for me) that manifests itself as a constant ache, and nothing like the pulsing stabbing I'm getting. Also, my arthritis doesn't go away when I get up

The symptoms of acute arthritis aren’t always so stereotypical - on this occasion there may be a degree of impingement within the joint or to a peripheral nerve to account for the different sensation. The treatment above should still be effective.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No more questions. I'll pop around to the chemist and get some anti-inflammatory tablets. Thanks for your help

You’re very welcome, all the best.