Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

My wife was recently diagnosed with HPV related cell changes

Customer Question

My wife was recently diagnosed with HPV related cell changes after a routine viginal smear test.. It's been a year and no significant changes to the lesion as she is being monitored every six month. I personally have not experienced any symptom or problems but I am concerned about my status.. We are trying so I am exposed and not sure if I have HPV or not and there no routine test available for men.. what Can I do? can I get vaccinated ? I am 44yrs old man.. don't know hat to do .. need help
JA: The OB/GYN Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long has your wife dealt with the HPV infection? Has she experienced this in the past?
Customer: it was found last year during a routine smear test so just a year
JA: When was her last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: 6months ago she went to the hospital for a test
JA: Anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: she had a miscarriage a year ago and since then we have been trying to conceive to no avail
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

The HPV has very likely been there for a number of years already and accordingly you are very likely to have been exposed to the virus during this time. The body is normally very efficient at eradicating and becoming immune to the virus (the cells of the cervix are a special case really) and I’m sure this will be the case for you - as such, there isn’t normally any benefit to having a vaccination for someone in your situation (vaccination is available privately at around £150 x2 doses, though it is usually only recommended for patients <21 years of age).

You don’t need to take any further action.

As for your wife, any HPV changes occur very slowly indeed, so the six-monthly monitoring is ample.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
does it affect our chances of conception and will it affect unborn child if we conceive?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

No, it won’t have any effect on either.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 12 days ago.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.