Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, General Physician
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

I have very irregular periods as in they could be between

Hi, I have very irregular periods as in they could be between 4-7 months in between them. I know this isn’t really normal but I was wondering is there any danger with having them every 4-7 months
Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Very irregular, every 4 months but they could be every 7 months
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have diabetes and that’s it

Hi, I'm Dr Osula, thanks for your question. How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Since I was 10(when my periods started) I’m 16 now
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I get all the symptoms but there is no blood

what symptoms do you get?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Abdominal Cramps, lower back pain, feeling more tired than usual and going to the toilet more.

what investigations have you had?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What do you mean sorry. I haven’t been to my local gp so they haven’t check me at all if that’s what you mean.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’ve had them twice in the year 2019

In answer to your question, there is no danger as such, apart from heavy periods but there's a possibility you migt have either polycystic ovarian syndrome or endometriosis.

I would recommend a pelvic scan to look at your womb and ovaries

You should have blood tests such as full blood count, thyroid, FSH, LH, Testosterone

If all this tests are normal, you might need a camera to look inside your womb as its the only way to diagnose endometriosis.

Have you heard of any of this conditions?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have heard of PCOS

PCOS can result in irregular periods and sometimes other symptoms such as weight gain, acne and bloating. FSH, LH and testosterone with the pelvic scan can diagnose this.

Endometriosis can cause heavy painful and sometimes irregular periods, along with cramping, back pain and bowel or bladder problems.

Abnormal thyroid can also cause irregular periods

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don’t know if this helps but I am 106KG and I’m 16 years old which is in the obese range I think

Yes that would point towars PCOS but I've met women with both PCOS and endometriosis

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you, so you recommend going to my local gp?

Definitely, you can ask for the tests I've suggested if the GP does not suggest it first.

If you worried about having periods every 4 to 7 mths, one option would be to go on the pill to regulate your periods back to monthly

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you so much

No worries, please provide feedback rating if happy with my service, and feel free to come back to ask further questions