Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I’m a type 2 diabetic. My sugars rocketed after my kidney

Hi doctor. I’m a type 2 diabetic. My sugars rocketed after my kidney transplant 2 years ago. I’m still on insulin which has been tailoring down slowly over the last 2 years. My kidney transplant was due to a faulty antibiotic that cause kidney inflammation and failure. I take 4-6 units of novorapid flexipen before my meals. I’m visiting my parents in the UK as I live in Dubai and only brought one pen with me (left the other one in the fridge) I need only one pen to see me through the next week. How can I go about getting this here in the UK (I’m a UK expat living in Dubai) many thanks. Anant
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I’ve seen a doctor and am taking insulin. Novorapid flexipen
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i was completely fine until the faulty antibiotic. Had to have a transplant as they stopped filtering and my brother gave me a kidney. Working perfectly for 2 years. HLA 0-0-0 match

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Go to a local GP surgery and ask for an appointment as a ‘temporary resident’ under the condition of ‘immediate and necessary’.

A GP appointment should be provided without charge. When seen, the GP will be able to prescribe the insulin for you (it will help if you can take some evidence with you such as a copy of your repeat prescription etc) though this may be a private prescription meaning that you will have to pay the cost of the medication when collecting it from the pharmacy.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That’s great. Thank you so much doctor. Appreciate your time. Cheers

You’re very welcome, all the best.