wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have had a failed disc replacement and failed lumbar spine

I have had a failed disc replacement and failed lumbar spine fusion. I have a neurostimulator for excruciating sciatic pain and am on MST, diclofenac and gabapentin for pain.
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have tried butec patches which are the only things that work but I break out in blisters
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am having my sacrioliac joint fused in december. I just need to know if there is any other pain medication I can try or change up for it to be effective. Thank you.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

How old are you?

M/F?

When was the fusion?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Dr Rick. I herniated my L5S1 disc 16 years ago and am now 41, a female.
I had the disc replacement in 2006, lumbar fusion in 2009 and a neurostimulator in 2014 which has proved to be extremely helpful.

I am on 50mg MST, oramorph as and when, 9 to 12 gabapentin, daily, 100mg sertraline daily and 50mg amitriptyline at night.
I am a teacher and am at severe risk of losing my job as my pain is so difficult to control and I am really battling.
Butec patches really helped but had severe blistering from the ingredient (not the plaster).
I just need to cope with this pain until I have my sacrioliac joint fusion in January and I dont know what else to do to cope and keep my job as I'm trying to put my son through university.
Any further questions please let me know.
Many thanks.

One option would be to have a subdural pain pump placed in your back so that you could receive continuous infusions of medication such as fentanyl, bupivicane etc.

However, if you are just 2 or 3 months away from fusion surgery that could greatly reduce your pain I would not suggest having the pump installed as this is considered a permanent treatment for the pain.

So. What to do until January?

1. You could consult with a pain management specialist who could give you spinal injections etc to ease the pain until your surgery in January.

2. Take three months off work :(

3. Perhaps work part time along with a substitute teacher

4. I don't think adding stronger/more oral pain medication is going to help as stronger doses may make it difficult for you to do your job.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes that really does make sense, most of which I had considered.
Work are threatening time off for pain with dismissal even though I am registered disabled with chronic pain.
Someone has mentioned I try the instanyl inhaler as the patches dont work but do not know how that will go down with my dr.
I have already been reduced to working 4 days a week and has a significant impact on finances.

I am having suicidal thoughts because of the pain and it is only because of my 19 year old son that I am still here.
I just need to get on top of this pain.
Thank you for your advice.
Tracey