Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I have extreme nerve pain in my hand arm and top of my back

I have extreme nerve pain in my hand arm and top of my back with pins and needles in my arm. This was caused by banging my elbow on a table which then activated pain to my back. I did this 2 weeks ago I have had seen 4 doctors. In the first week I had Naproxen also codeine which had no effect. In week 2 a different doctor advised me that the pain killers were a waste of time and put me on Gabapetin which I have taken for 7 days I am still in extreme pain last night I did not sleep took paracetamol which I have taken at times throughout. Do I have to carry on with this unbearable pain taking Gabapetin and hope it gets better? Please help I am prepared to pay for treatment
Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Yes I had a fall and a heavy object fell on me I had fractured ribs which showed up on X-ray
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Several doctors have checked movement of arms and all have confirmed there are no broken bones
Hi. The next step is to have a nerve conduction/ emg of that arm. The question is which nerve or nerves are causing the pain. From your description it could be cervical nerve injury for which an epidural cortisone shot would help. Banging your elbow suggests injury to the ulnar nerve. Treatment for that entails bracing the arm and local steroid injection.
The gabapentin and pain meds are proper to start with but you need further work up to target the injured nerve or nerves.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you I think it is as you say damage to the ulna nerve and suggest bracing the arm and a steroid injection
Damage to the ulnar nerve is called cubital tunnel syndrome. I had it myself years ago and also have treated patients with it. Proper treatment is being fitted for a splint that keeps the arm straight at night while you sleep. That takes pressure off the ulnar nerve. In the meantime see if there’s a brace you can buy at a pharmacy that will keep your arm straight during the night. Ideally an occupational therapist can make a custom brace for you. That’s what I had and wore it for a few months at night. Gradually the pain went away.
Be patient as the nerve will slowly recover. The best doctor to treat cubital tunnel syndrome is an orthopedic hand surgeon.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will call you later thanks I Have an appointment at the moment
If you got a request for a phone call that didn’t come from me. It’s automatically sent to customers. There’s no need for a call.