Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in september this year.

hi i was diagnosed with cervical cancer in september this year. i had a radical hysterectomy with lymph node dissection. clear margins round every where else. 1 lymph node came back with microscopic trace of cancer does this mean i still have cancer if it was taken away kind regards joanna
Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: i am not sure just need reassurance i started radio therapy on monday
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no i’m quite healthy

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

No, it does not mean that you still have cancer.

It means that you had cancer in one of the lymph nodes but that was removed and now you are cancer free.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thanks so much Doctor. i have been reading to much on internet and got my self in a mess. am i doing the right thing doing the radio therapy if cancer has been removed. also i am not having any chemo is this rare. thanks so much you have made me feel much more reassured. joanna

Yes, radiotherapy is the next line of treatment. Although you do not have any evidence of cancer, it will be best to get a course of radiotherapy to remove all doubts.

Chemotherapy is not necessary if you go through radiotherapy.

Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.

I hope the answer helped.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
yes you have helped me feel so much better i’m sure you will be hearing from me over the next 5 weeks. i am still doubting radio therapy but if that’s what i need i will do it thanks again

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hi again doctor if cancer is found in my lymph node does that change the stage from 1 to 3 . some one told me it did now i’m worried again thank you

Yes, if cancer is found in the lymph nodes, that puts it in stage 3. That is why radiotherapy is recommended.