Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I’m not on my period but am bleeding a lot and my urine has

Hi there, I’m not on my period but am bleeding a lot and my urine has an unusual smell to it. How do I stop this?
Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: This time I am in pain and so is my tummy a little bit. I usually have irregular periods so I don’t have a certain time to expect them
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: High cholesterol?

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This is called as intermenstrual bleeding or abnormal vaginal bleeding. Many times this resolves spontaneously and perhaps is due to minor hormonal aberrations or stress and anxiety-related problem (mediated through body hormones). But if the abnormal vaginal bleeding persists, the following causes should be considered;

1) Vaginitis; infection of the vagina. Usually, some form of vaginal discharge accompanies or symptoms like vaginal pain during sex or itching associated.

2) Uterine fibroid

3) Uterine polyps

4) Endocervical polyp

5) Pelvic inflammatory disease

6) Cervicitis (cervix infection)

7) Endometritis; infection of the internal lining of the uterus

8) Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)

9) Fluctuating hormone levels.

If you need to change the tampon/sanitary napkin in less than 2 hours, you need to go to the emergency.

The unusual smell in urine can be due to a lack of fluids/dehydration. You need to drink a lot of liquids. A urine exam and culture would also help to rule out urinary tract infection.

The following can detect/diagnose the cause of bleeding;

1) A physical examination and speculum examination by the doctor

2) Ultrasound

3) Blood work for the hormones

4) Vaginal swab

5) Pap smear.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ah great, yes this narrows it down better. Might I just add, I’ve noticed in the past 3 times of intercourse, there has been a lot of blood after.. the blood varies from bright red/orange or pinkish. I just feel a little scared and unsure on what to do. Also, I had taken the ellaone pill and since then, I had noticed all this bleeding

You are very welcome.

There can be various causes for bleeding during and after intercourse;

1) Infections like chlamydia, vaginitis, cervicitis

2) Cervical dysplasia

3) Injury during sex

4) Cervical polyps

5) Vaginal yeast infection

6) Endometriosis

7) Uterine polyps and fibroids

The pill may have caused hormonal imbalance and caused the bleeding.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.