Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

It's with regards to my underactive thyroid, I've had it for

It's with regards ***** ***** underactive thyroid
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had hypothyroidism? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I've had it for a number of years now but it has gotten worse over the past 6 months or so. I'm taking 50mg of Levothyroxine and have been on it for a number of years now. I had a blood test recently and my thyroid came up as OK although I do have a B12 deficiency and am on a course of injections. I'm still suffering and the condition has gotten worse, are there any other tests other than the blocc test for an underactive thyroid?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about hypothyroidism?
Customer: Yes and had the blood test recently but it came back OK
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have a long standing depression problem, I have menier's Disease and have serious difficulty in sleeping

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK

May I ask what your TSH level was on your recent blood test?

Which symptoms do you suspect are due to your underactive thyoid?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry but don't know what the TSH level was but the doctor said it was OK. The reasons I suspect it's an underactive thyroid is that I have no energy, problems sleeping, gaining weight, dry mouth, feet and hands always cold, headaches, brain fog.

I understand, thank you.

I would be helpful to obtain the TSH value from your doctor and consideration given to increasing the Thyroxine dose if it is >2.0. For reference, the typical dose for most patients is 100mcg daily but of course everyone is different and it is best to titrate the dose based on the TSH levels. TSH is very accurate in determining the activity of the thyroid, so there is no need to perform any other thyroid tests.

A common difficulty is that thyroid symptoms are non-specific, meaning many of the same symptoms can be caused by a variety of other conditions. For example, most of the symptoms you describe above could also be attributed to sleeping problems so some judgement (with the aid of test results) needs to be applied to balance the probability of what is the most likely cause.

Regardless of whether the sleeping problems are a cause or effect, you are likely to benefit a great deal from effectively addressing these. The (only) evidence-based treatment that shows good benefit is CBT-i, a specialised type of psychotherapy for sleep problems/insomnia and I suggest that you discuss accessing this on the NHS via your doctor.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

You’re very welcome, all the best.