Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I’m living in the UK but on holidays at moment. I received

Hi, I’m living in the UK but on holidays at moment. I received some form of insect bite on the back of my hand. It initially blistered and has since made my hand swell. Just a bit concerned which it needs urgent care or if it will reduce in size. Thanks
Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Nothing, it has just started to swell gradually throughout the day and is noticeably larger than my other hand. Perfect health, no issues
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Asthmatic, but not severely

What is your age?

When was the insect bite?

What are the treatments done?

Please post the picture of the back of the hand, if you can.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am 28, in good health. Insect bite I believe was on Wednesday (it’s Friday evening here). I received other mosquito bites which are normal, this one was different so possibly not a mosquito. No treatments, I have been travelling so unable to do anything bar keep it clean and covered. I will forward pictures

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the initial answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Meanwhile, you may attach the pictures here.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Photo attached

If it is painful and tender, you may apply Neosporin cream also.

If it is just blistering, you may apply Benadryl cream, only.

Cold compresses may also help.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It feels hot rather than tender. I will ice it in order to reduce swelling. I will be back in the UK on Monday morning, I am just anxious to know if it is ok to wait for treatment until then, if needed, as I am in Bali and I am unsure of the quality of medical cover. Thanks

You are very welcome.

A warmth denotes mild infection. So Benadryl and Neosporin both will help.

Avoid too much hanging the hands on the sides.

You can wait until Monday morning.

It does not look worrisome at this point in time.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.