How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ben Your Own Question
Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1101
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ben is online now

I have been refered from a dentist to the hospital as i keep

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have been refered from a dentist to the hospital as i keep getting pain in my jaw when i wake up in a morning and can't open my mouth fully. This normally only lasts for 5-10 minutes. My appointment at the hospital isnt for another 2 weeks and since sunday i have woken up with this pain everytime i open my mouth, trying to eat is quitw hard too as i can't open my mouth fully. As i said i have had this since sunday all day, all week. I have tried heat gel, hot water bottles on it etc without nothing working. I was wondering if you have any advise on what i can try or do until my appointment comes around.
Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No swelling visablr and no tooth pain had a recent check up at the dentist and all was fine with my teeth.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nope.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?

- Any medical problems?

- Any medications?

- Have you been told of the exact diagnosis e.g. temporomandibular joint syndrome, arthritis etc.?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im female, 27. No medical problems or medication. No, not been diagnosed yet as im waiting for my first hospital appointment in 2 weeks. Just as its got worse in the last week and ive still got 2 weeks to wait for the appointment.

Okay, many thanks.

It is very likely to be TMJ syndrome, where the jaw joint becomes sprained/inflamed and starts to dysfunction as a result. It normally helps a great deal to have a course of anti-inflammatory medication (e.g. Ibuprofen 600-800mg three times daily) as long as you can tolerate these, alongside resting the mouth/jaw (soft diet, avoid heavy chewing or talking) and some basic jaw physiotherapy exercises (mouth opening and closing in a straight line, tongue touching the roof of the mouth/palate, using a mirror for guidance).

Does this help?

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yes, this does help thankyou. I will try them. Will applying heat to the area help at all or should i stop doing that. Such as hot water bottle and heat gel.

This probably won’t make much difference either way, so unless you have found it particularly helpful so far, I wouldn’t suggest persevering.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.

Dr. Ben and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thats good to know. Thankyou. Yes i will do.

Much appreciated, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One more quick question... what is the usual treatment for tmj if it was to be that?

The above measures cover the majority of the initial treatment, though I expect the specialist will provide you with a splint/bite-guard as well.

For particularly stubborn cases, local steroid injection or surgical intervention can be considered, however these are rarely required.