neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

My partner suffers from type 2 diabetes. (He is thin). He

My partner suffers from type 2 diabetes. (He is thin). He takes quite a few tablets and I am wondering if they could be cause of him being unable to lift one arm. We ask the doctors about the tablets but they won’t or don’t want to review.
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When was your partner prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: A long time ago. He didn’t appear to have side effects. He did have problems with his lower legs/feet but the doctor said it was Policeman’s heel. Three years we kept going back now he falls over if the floor is uneven. I realise this could be the diabetes but nobody knows what is wrong with his arm. It is withering away. He is/was a very strong 67 year old. Played football until about 18 months ago. Still working.
JA: Has he used anything else for this?
Customer: For the feet he was given Ibruprofen cream. His arm acupuncture.
JA: Anything else in his medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Chiropractor for his arm/neck.

Hello -

How long has he had trouble with the arm?

Is the strength in the rest of the arm OK (like his wrist? Grip?)

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It started about 18 months ago when he discovered he couldn’t do Jazz hands with one hand. Didn’t bother us of course. Then he couldn’t lift the arm up. Then the arm and muscles started withering away. Yes he still has strength in his hand.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No its OK. Old age pensioner I’m afraid
OK, thank you. I would highly suggest that he speaks with his doctor to get further imaging of his neck. In issue with the nerves in his neck, the cervical spine could be responsible for the weakness in his arm.
Specifically an issue at the C-5 level in the neck can cause his symptoms. People can have weakness with lifting the arm in the air, and the atrophy in his muscle shows that this nerve issue was long-standing.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
We have done that. No problem with the cervical spine. He has now had two MRI’s. They are going to do a lumber puncture.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
So it its a C-5 problem can anything be done?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Are you still there
If there is significant nerve compression, then it would be surgery.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
They would have seen that on the MRI wouldn’t they?
Yes, it should have been seen on a mri of the cervical spine.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What can it be if they havent seen that or could they have missed it
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What should we ask for next?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
You’ve gone havent you?
Then I would ask for a emg test.
That looks for nerve damage.

Sorry, I actually am also walking around my hospital at the same time as answering questions.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you I will ask for that next. Do I just go back to the doctor or should I just find someone and pay for it?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
You are obviously busy. Will call back later.
I would go back to the doctor.
Also, I would want to reevaluate the cervical spine mri here to look specifically for issues at the c4-5 level.