Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

I have experienced a suspected reaction to Ciprofloxacin,

I have experienced a suspected reaction to Ciprofloxacin, generalized muscland joint pains which are not resolving. I was referred to a rheumatoligist and all tests he performed were negative. Is there anyone out there who deals with this type of issue
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you been using Ciprofloxacin? Has it helped at all?
Customer: i was advised to take if for 6 weeks. I was advised to be aware of swelling and bruising to my Achilles tendon but the problem started with hip pain which my GP said was not related to the ciprofloxacin so i continued to take it. I stopped mid Jjly after finishing the course but the symptoms became systemic.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the hip pain?
Customer: yes, xray negative referrered to rheumatologist.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: reflux, hypertension,

Hello! My name is Dr.Ehtisham. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So what are the symptoms you are currently suffering?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Joint and muscle pains, hips, legs and shoulders. Disturbed sleep

When it occurred?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
problems statrted with hip pain three days after commencement of medicatio. saw GP who susopected OA. did not associate symptoms with cipro, xray clear. referred to rheumatologist, all tests clear. still having debilitating symptoms.

What is the total duration of these symptoms ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
on going from 6/6/2019

And when you get the tests done?

And which tests were done?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Cant remember them all bvut here are some. I am not at home. Reurmatology screening, bone profile, breakdown of muscle, cant remember exact name. xray hipd hands and feet.liver function test, TFT
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
had depomedrone120mg im, 3 weeks respite, but pain back
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
tests 3 weks ago
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
basically what to know who to tyrn to. Own GP doing his best but scratching his heaq

Thanks for the details

If the joint pain and swelling is still present and the tests are all negative then there are two possibilities

Either it is a seronegative arthritis in which all the above tests can be normal

Other possibility could be a functional disorder like Fibromyalgia

You must have a repeat test specially ESR and CRP

If that are normal then you can have a trial of treatment with Duloxetine for fibromyalgia

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not at all helpful, sorry.
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
I understand your concern.

I am sorry to say this, but this seems to be fluoroquinolone induced tendinopathy of the gluteal tendons.

I am sending you a link ofva case report which fits in to your exact case please.

You may show this and discuss with your primary care physician please.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4238198/

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Dr.Sumanth,
Experience: 

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Kind regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani