How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DR. EHTISHAM Your Own Question
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6104
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DR. EHTISHAM is online now

I herniated a disc in my lower back a few years back

This answer was rated:

I herniated a disc in my lower back a few years back resulting in extreme sciatica in left leg. Recovered from pain but left with tingling and numbness down back if left leg and calf (course if sciatic nerve). The lower part of my medial gastrocnemius muscle has lost strength and atrophied massively. Can this ever be recovered from and could it get worse (eg begin to effect hamstrings etc.)? Thank you.
Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: not formal ones, just my own ongoing observations. My GP / NHS have been disinterested in looking into it.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: None that come to mind.

Hello! My name is Dr.Ehtisham. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have an MRI and nerve conduction study done?


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. The NHS refused to carry one out.

Thanks for the information

Since it has been present for some time so chances are actually less that it will be back to normal

Similarly the chances of it being getting any worse are also low

Usually after sometime the changes do get permanent and usually does not progress or improve

Please do let me know if you have any other question


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your response, appreciated. I may go for a private MRI

Yes that would be a better idea to look for exact current situation

Please do let me know if you have any other question

If done please leave a 5-stars rating to give me credit for my service


DR. EHTISHAM and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you