Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I dont know if i have anxiety, nope and sure, max 3-4 hours

hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i dont know if i have anxiety
JA: The Psychologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Have you spoken to a mental health professional about this?
Customer: nope and sure
JA: How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: max 3-4 hours of sleep and when im up i cant get back to sleep
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: nope

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Please can you elaborate on how you are feeling and any specific concerns you may have?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ive had problems at work where ive not been peforming well and ive been off for the past two weeks and i go back tomorrow ive extremely worried about me loosing my job ive had problems with eating and sleeping and overall just feel really worries and down ive lost my job and had hot and cold stages and my hands are sweating constanly and having headaches everyday and having problems clearing my head from this issue

Yes, there are symptoms of anxiety here. It would be helpful to have some objective measure of its severity so would you be kind enough to complete this quick questionnaire and tell me the result:

https://www.mdcalc.com/gad-7-general-anxiety-disorder-7

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ive done it and had 21 points

Okay, many thanks.

Of course it is not a perfect measure, but gives some indication of how severe/intrusive the anxiety symptoms are. In this case, you score quite highly and accordingly I think that some proactive intervention is required.

I recommend that you see your GP to discuss management options (which may include lifestyle modifications, time off work, accessing support services, psychotherapy, medication or a combination of these). However, as this will almost certainly involve a referral for psychological therapy/CBT, we can save time by making a self-referral ourselves (this is normally the way it is accessed in most regions). To do this, find your local IAPT service website by searching ‘[your location] IAPT’ and there should be a referral portal there.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i think i will go to my gp this week about it hate deeling like this

Yes, I think that is exactly the right thing to do.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
one thing im worries and scared about going to the gp i will phone them on the phone and what should i say i have server problems when talking on the phone and i panic a lot

That’s understandable, especially when you are feeling this way.

Just say that you are feeling very anxious and it is affecting your work, sleep and appetite - the GP will know exactly what to do from here. You can also mention that you’ve scored 21 on the GAD questionnaire to give them an idea of the severity.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello

Hello, how can I help?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve woke up in the middle of the night with a severe nightmare it’s been happening for past two days and I’ve constantly had shakes in my hands and hot and cold staged

I’m sorry to hear that, have you managed to get in touch with your GP yet?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Haven’t had the chance to my heads all over the place

I think it is a important that you see them today.

Most GP surgeries have new appointments available from 8am the same day, so call them now and say you need to be seen today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I couldn’t get a appointment

That’s really quite poor from your GP.

Keep trying and say it is an urgent mental health problem that won’t wait.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I ask you something

Of course, please go ahead.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
For the past two days I’ve been having sleeping problems and when I wake up I have severe nightmares from the overthinking little things is that normal for anxiety
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m going to try again tomorrow for a appointment

Yes, this is normal for anxiety, but I do think your symptoms are relatively severe hence the need for prompt input from your GP.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I phoned my gp all appointment today was gone and couldn’t pre-book one
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just everyday I wake up with the same things in my head and I just can’t clear my head at all I’ve tried some many things

They are contractually obliged to see emergency problems and cannot refuse.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They didn’t refuse there was no appointments at the gp that’s why

This is essentially a ‘white’ lie - they have to see you whether there are any regular appointments left or not (as an ‘extra’). There has to be a nominated GP ‘on call’ for this purpose throughout the day.

If you get the same response tomorrow, request the receptionist’s name and ask them to confirm that they are refusing to see an emergency, same day problem. They likely will provide you with an appointment before you have finished your sentence.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ah ok will try tomorrow but I just got so many things in my head and it’s just feels that I can’t clear my head at all I’ve tried watching stuff then all of sudden I get bored of watching it in the first minute and can’t relax
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Just woke up with same issues with nightmares is that tight with anxiety
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I went to the gp

I’m glad to hear that - hope they were helpful and you now have a management plan in place.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They have suggested talk therapy and looks like low mood and anxiety I’ve filled in a gad at the gp for there record
Customer: replied 3 days ago.