Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, General Physician
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

My son is very impulsive- this usually manifests in extreme

Customer Question

My son is very impulsive- this usually manifests in extreme verbal or physical rage (e.g. smashing his phone to pieces or punching a hole in a coffee table). Next to this, he is prone to being extremely angry over the smallest of changes such as small scratches on the screen of his phone or if something is not to his liking. He is too attached to me- at the ege of 15 he still insists on sleeping in the same bed as me. He is also very paranoid and anxious, often for no reason. This will cause meltdowns. He can't focus at all on anything, and lacks any positive opinion on himself of life in general. Where can I find help for something like this?
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: If something isn't consistent or out of the ordinary/ not in his habit, it gets really bad. When he was younger it wasn't all that worrying, but for the past 2 years, it's out of control
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My daughter has dyslexia, asd/aspergers. But she is not aggressive
Expert:  Anthony Osula replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Osula, how are you today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My son is very impulsive- this usually manifests in extreme verbal or physical rage (e.g. smashing his phone to pieces or punching a hole in a coffee table). Next to this, he is prone to being extremely angry over the smallest of changes such as small scratches on the screen of his phone or ifsomething is not to his liking. He is too attached to me- at the ege of 15 he still insists on sleeping in the same bed as me. He is also very paranoid and anxious, often for no reason. This will cause meltdowns. He can't focus at all on anything, and lacks any positive opinion on himself of life in general. Where can I find help for something like this?

OK, its possible he has a personality disorder, which can result in anger, impulsivity, and other symptoms, but this would need a specialist assessment. As he is age 15, he needs referral to child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) which his GP or school can do

Any further questions?