Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have bleeding from my bottom for over a week now. I am

Customer Question

I have bleeding from my bottom for over a week now. I am agoraphobic so am unable to visit a doctor
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I haven’t seen a dr because I can’t leave the house. I’m not taking any medication
Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take inhalers for asthma. I am allergic to Maxolon
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had achalasia 28 years ago. I was diagnosed with proctitis about 11 years ago and my son has ulcerative colitis
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is someone looking at my question?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 days ago.

What are your age and gender?

Apart from bleeding do you have pain in the anus or abdomen or any other symptom?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No pain. A dull ache. Loose stools sometimes. Sometimes excessive wind with blood

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 55 and female
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I also have agoraphobia and never leave my house

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal infection. You may need a course of antibiotics as bleeding usually denote a bacterial infection.

The initial management is as following;

1) Pepto Bismol

2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics

7) A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day.

Dietary measures would help you in regulating the bowels. Vegetables and fruits will help. Probiotics and probiotic yogurt are recommended. You may drink diluted fruit juice, Pedialyte or Gatorade.

Eating foods that are higher in soluble fiber (introducing slowly dried beans, oats, oat bran, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, apples, strawberries, peas, and potatoes).may aid in making stool firmer. A bland 'BRAT' diet including bananas, toast, oatmeal, white rice, applesauce, and soup/broth may improve symptoms.

Probiotic supplementation has been shown to reduce the severity and duration of bowel issues.

Diverticulitis may be the other possibility of the diagnosis. That too may need the same treatment.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time with you.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.