How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrVasavada Your Own Question
DrVasavada, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4343
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrVasavada is online now

I have just had my teeth cleaned and the plaque taken off

Customer Question

Hi I have just had my teeth cleaned and the plaque taken off and after it’s been cleaned I seem to have a gap either where my gum was or my tooth between my teeth and I don’t know what to do
Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Today and no they seem normal
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nope I told him about my little gaps I have and he said it might be my teeth moving because I use to have braces or he said it could heel over time but it’s big this gap and I want it to get covered
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is my tooth
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

that sure looks photoshopped......

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is not photoshopped
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I used my back camera to take that off my teeth
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ve just paid money to get help and ur saying my tooth is photoshopped I’m very offended right now as my teeth are getting ruined and you are suppose to be helping me
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

Sorry you offended.......I am typing my reply now...

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

that, then, is an area where your gums have retracted off the surface of your tooth.

With proper brushing and oral care it may come back up like the other areas....

However, with that much gum retraction it is probably going to be permanent.

And that area is not consistent with how your other teeth look......very, very unusual.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do you mean by consistent with my other areas but is there anything I can do about this coz I got told I might be able to have braces back on or the gum might grow back what brushing and toothpaste should I use
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would even a small big grow back just so it isn’t that big
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

It will not grow back but it may expand once the gums are healthy again.

I suggest you consult with a periodontinst as they are experts in gum disease.

It might be possible to have gum surgery to bring that area back up and close that space.

This will not keep you from having braces.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expand what do you mean by this also how do I get in touch with a periodontist
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 5 months ago.

Sorry about previous expert leaving. This gap can not possibly come up only after cleaning tartar, must have been there unnoticed. Till new gum growth comes up, just smile less not revealing the gap. It there is any pain or sensitivity, use sensodyne paste. Periodontist can be googled from net or write your area code.