neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I have had a chest infection for 3 weeks approx. There was a

I have had a chest infection for 3 weeks approx. There was a family bereavement so didnt go to doctor. Cough with green phlegm and feeling tired and about to make doc appt but not concerned. Woke this morning dizzy and fast pulse. Felt worse sitting up . Lay onmy side . Rapud pulse...went up to 130 for about 15 mind . Then went down . Dizzy for a while but apart from chest cough all normal again. I was concerned when resting pulse so high. I'm 53 female non smoker overweight but active .

Hello -

Your pulse can get high when you are fighting an infection.

Things like fever and dehydration can increase your pulse. A low blood pressure will also cause your pulse to be faster than usual -- and the lightheadedness that you are having seems to fit with low blood pressure.

I would increase your fluid intake now (to help with the blood pressure/dehydration) and rest. Certainly if you feel that you are getting worse, a trip to urgent care/ER for IV fluids may be needed.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But why did I wake with dizziness and rapid pulse ? It climbed as I was lying down

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It was very frightening when it happened. I felt clammy and thought I was going to pass out
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No am happy with text

Yes, that can happen when your blood pressure is really low (called syncope).

If you can, check your blood pressure and make sure it's normal.

If it continues to be really low, you should get this checked out.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But not entirely happy with sum up
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But I dont have any history of low blood pressure

You don't have to have a history of blood pressure.

If your blood pressure is low now -- because of your recent illness and dehydration -- it can cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have never experienced a feeling of dizziness with spiking pulse before even though I've had chest infection
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am thinking to treat at home and attend gp in one week. Does this seem reasonable?

As long as you feel that this is getting better.

If you continue to have lightheadedness to the point you are going to faint -- you should be seen sooner.

Best of luck to you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would the pulse or the dizziness be more concerning do you think?

The dizziness is more concerning, because it could cause you to fall and hurt yourself.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. I'm just concerned it may be heart related even though I have no history of heart issues

It doesn't sound like specific heart issues here.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help

You're welcome.