How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask neurosurg Your Own Question
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 23943
Type Your Medical Question Here...
neurosurg is online now

A couple of days ago i started with a pain in my neck,

Customer Question

A couple of days ago i started with a pain in my neck, starting behind my left ear. I have since noticed i cant wink with my left eye, they both just close together. I have just noticed my smile is lop sided and i can no longer pucker my lips to whistle. Should i go to the hospital?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: It started 3-4 days ago i had some tingling too but it seems to have stopped. Not felt any numbness.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am taking tablets for high blood pressure and heart problems.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 months ago.

Hello -

Yes, if you are having symptoms of one sided facial weakness, you should go to the hospital for further evaluation.

The one thing that they would have to rule out is a stroke, and while you were there, they can evaluate for other issues that can cause facial weakness like Bell's palsy.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 months ago.

They will examine you, and likely order CT imaging of the brain to evaluate this further. Best of luck.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 months ago.

Hope you're better by now.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!