wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

From January 2019 I would be able to eat but then vomit for

Hi, from January 2019 I would be able to eat but then vomit for no reason. This progressed to 24/7 nausea and being sick, constantly racing to the the loo every morning just to throw up water and bile. By April I began to cancel clients, something I never do, but I felt so dreadful I was cancelling clients 2 hours before their appointment. I'd lost 2-3 stones in weight in approx. 2 months, my hair was falling out in clumps, and what was left was really brittle, like wire. I couldn't walk up my stairs without having to stop due to being so out of breath and having heart palpitations and my thigh muscles, which had wasted away, were in agony. Then I kept fainting and waking up two days later, to discover clients had been knocking on my door but I was unconscious the other side. My long hair became so brittle, I had to have it cut short and am on my fourth set of clothes down. In short, Then I couldn't even keep water down and became severely dehydrated and malnourished with very blurred vision.. In short, I had four ambulances and a rapid response team called out to me but was sent home from hospital each time. When I fainted and fell down a full flight of stairs, due to being examined but my vitals were ok, (I was discharged from one hospital by a consultant who said my breath smelled sweet and was probably ketoacidosis, so I should drink more! I had an unsteady gait and was still dizzy but they discharged me anyway. It was at that point I decided to use up all of my savings and go private. Thankfully the endocrinologist, cardiologist and neurologist I saw, couldn't find anything really wrong so sent me to a private psychiatrist for a two hour assessment. He was the only professional who looked at my blood tests and asked if I was itching anywhere. I showed him evidence of both my legs which are covered in rashes which I've scratched red raw. He asked me if I was taking any medication, Sertraline, which dose, 200mg, and for how long. I have such bad amnesia, I couldn't remember when it was doubled, but knew it was at the beginning of the year. He said all my symptoms were physical and liver related, and not mental. He also said nobody should be on 200mg of Sertraline for more than four weeks. I tried to find out from my GP when my dose was doubled, and why, but they kept lying, saying it was May, when I was discharged from hospital after 10 days so I went to my pharmacist to ask him. He looked really confused as my Sertraline label said 'take 100, or 150 or 200mg daily. My GP does everything by email as much as possible. My Sertraline was increased from 100 to 200 mg on 11th January, right when my symptoms began. I read the leaflet in the Sertraline packet and I've been suffering from nearly every 'rare' side effect, including bleeding gums. It mentions 'Serotonin Syndrome'. When I looked that up, I went cold. I have had nearly every side effect of that, including hypoglycemia, lowest blood sugar reading is 2.2, hypothyroidism, My T4 fell from 10.2, 7.8, then 4.1 when I was in hospital. I can only eat cold food as I'm so weak, my cognitive function is not there, which is why I pay people to type things and text for me, as I'm so slow and my hands tremble so much I keep hitting wrong keys, I order random things in the night, like two massage chairs which I have no recollection of, and am terrified to open a package when it's delivered, forgot to go to an important parent evening, as well as a speed awareness course, and an important consultant appointment and I forget whether I have taken medication, so either don't take any or take double in one day. So can you please tell me if, by going from 100 to 200mg of sertraline quickly, without being monitored by a GP, could have caused me to have Serotonin Syndrome? It's taken me an hour to type this! Thank you.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

How old are you?

M/F?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Still really ill. The hilarious thing is that, whether you’ve symptoms of SS or any of the rare side effects of Sertraline, the leaflet tells you to go to A&E immediately. I did. Four times, but I was accused of having an eating disorder by one Dr, even though I’d been put in a private room with my own bathroom with the door shut all day, given the wrong anti sickness pills and injection by another who told me to ‘stay off the booze love’, I was ten years’ sober at the end of October. He gave me a pack of prochlotperazine which he conveniently left off my discharge letter. I was sick more than 20 times the next day. The leaflet says not to prescribe to anyone with an under active thyroid or muscle myalgia, two of the symptoms I’d complained about! He still won’t amend the discharge letter.

The only other meds I take are HRT, and that’s when I remember to take them! The only medical problems I have are severe acid reflux and very low blood sugar, even though I’m now eating. But these are also side effects of SS and Sertraline. Thank you, Sarah.

I'm on call today and have been in the hospital for most of the afternoon.

It is probably too late to call now....would sometime tomorrow work for you?

I am in Mountain Time USA, probably about 8 hours behind you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Omg, don’t ask me to get my head around that! �� Lets just say I’m free from 7pm London GMT time

The different time zones do make things difficult :-(

If you still want to chat on the phone you would need to request it again as the previous call has expired (you were not charged for the call....)

Drop me a note when you have time to chat....

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
If you're unable to call then can you look at my symptoms and information i gave you to give me your opinion? Thanks.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and have your GP refer you to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It makes complete sense. Unfortunately, my GP and the large university teaching hospital I’d be referred to are the ones who I was admitted to several times and will be suing for medical negligence!������

Oops! I would not go back there then, eh? ;-)

I hope you feel better soon and the Court grants your case.