wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I hope you can help me. I think I am developing an ocd about

Hi I hope you can help me. I think I am developing an ocd about cleanliness. I had a dream that I was passing urine and found that it caused me to actually pass water in my sleep. It really affected me. I doubt myself when I go to the bathroom and I have 'start and stopping' sensations so have to apply a tissue to check myself. I usually use soap and water to clean myself. When I am in the bath I find myself unable to leave, as I am worried that I am passing water (urged on by the feelings of water). So I apply tissues again. Smell and dry them even with a hair dryer and go as far as use a black light at times! I get worried that I have dirtied other clothes as I move between room as I am doubtful of myself and if I was cleaned properly in the toilet or bathroom..sometimes there is a huge pile of what I worry as being dirty clothes that I have dirtied. I used to b worse by worrying about water becoming dirty by my hairbands or body etc and if that water fell on other things. I don't worry about this now as I feel soap and water would have neutralised the dirt. I don't have a counting system at all. Sometimes I find myself unable to leave the bathtub, doubting that the tissues don't carry some urine. Is there a way to break the habit? I sometimes have had 2 or more washes a day because of this

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

How long has this been going on?

How old are you?

M/F?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am writing on behalf of my daughter who is 9years old. We noticed it about a month or so ago
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The photo I sent is of her eyes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am so very very sorry. I am also writing on behalf of my daughter about her eyes with another dr. I am so very sorry I thought I was responding for her
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am 47 years old and female and I have been feeling like this for a few months

The photo did not come through.

Can you try to resend it using the paperclip on your screen?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your message. I am so sorry for the confusion. Please refer to my first message about OCD. My mention of the photo was in referance to a consultation for my daughter's eyesight (on this website). I am so sorry I replied thinking you were the other Dr.
I would very much like your opinion about the OCD matter.
I just had an episode tonight whereby I washed myself but was convinced that I could feel urine. I checked myself by smelling tissues that I had applied and using an UV light. I mistook markings of product whiteners for urine and ended up back in the bath for longer. Washing and rewashing myself as I felt I was passing water. I really would appreciate your thoughts as to how to address this matter
Earlier tonight I tried talking myself through it and encouraging myself to just believe and trust in myself which helped. But practical help from a specialist like yourself would really help

OCD can be difficult to treat. As such, I suggest you have your GP refer you to a mental health team consisting of a MS level Social worker (For Group therapy, CBT etc), a PhD level psychologist (talk therapy) and a MD level psychiatrist (medical management). This will get you feeling better in no time.

Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20354432

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i am so very sorry for the late reply to your kind message. i am so very grateful for your reply and the direction you gave as well as the link. thank you again for all your help. i am working through things and its been a couple of days and i am finding a routine that is avoiding habits that i have developed. thank you again. it honestly helped just knowing that someone cared.

My pleasure :-)