Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Have had persistent cough with lots of mucous for past two

Customer Question

Have had persistent cough with lots of mucous for past two mts. Coughing so much that it causes headaches. Saw GP today and he want x ray of lungs saying mid section of right lung not functioning properly. What are the possible causes of this ?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Only when coughing. No nausea. Persistent throat irritation and mucous which wont clear following a mild cold
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Had ct scan a year ago which show'd small nodule in lower right lung. Follow up ct scan indicated no problems or follow up necessary
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Do you smoke currently or have you smoked in the past?

There is a high possibility of Bronchiectasis, which is a condition in which there is abnormal dilatation and destruction of airways in the lungs which leads to daily production of phlegm and cough.

There are many reasons for this, including some genetic syndromes, repeated chest infections, poor immunity or certain other immune disorders. Sometimes, no exact cause is identified.

At this stage you need a MDCT (Multidetector Helical CT) of the chest. Chest X-ray can give suspicious findings, but its not diagnostic for this condition.

You can discuss this with your treating physician and either ask about idea of proceeding with MDCT or get referral to a Pulmonologist.

This can be treated; and there are a number of interventions available in terms of medications and surgical options, your pulmonologist can decide.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question. Bonus Always helpful.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.