Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I think I might have an inner ear problem as I have been

I think I might have an inner ear problem as I have been experiencing feeling off balance for the last week. I've had my hearing tested and it's fine and they cannot see an infection. My pulse is fine and my doctor say's i'm healthy except for feeling off balance
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: the last proper cold I had was in the middle of October. I have been feeling off balance now since last Friday
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I'm allergic to penicillin

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do you feel spinning sensation while having balance problem? Is there any ear ringing or decreased hearing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
not really - it's more like when you've been on a boat for too long and you step off and you feel wobbly on your feet
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have had ringing in my ears but no hearing loss

Please wait, I am typing an answer and it may take 10 minutes to write a detailed answer. In the meantime, if you have any specific question, please let me know. Regards

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Dizziness comes from three systems of the body mainly. Ears, Heart (including blood pressure) and Brain. Spinning is quite characteristic for ear disorders but as per your symptoms, this doesn't seem to be your case. Unsteadiness is characteristic of heart and blood pressure disorders. Feeling dizziness while standing from a sitting position or when rising from reclining position goes towards heart and blood pressure disorders. Brain disorders can cause both spinning and unsteadiness. I would suggest being a specialist in dealing with balance problems that your doctor should get your MRI brain and EKG to rule out other causes as well. You should try over the counter available tablet Meclizine thrice daily for 3 days. I reassure you that you are going to be alright but get an evaluation done as advised. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I saw a doctor they said and both my heart and blood pressure were fine so I'm a little confused

Did they do an EKG and brain scan?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it has been getting marginally better though
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
my doctor thought it was virus

Diagnosing dizziness is always difficult. I would suggest that you should try meclizine for 3 days and if symptoms persist, get an evaluation again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok, where do I get that from?

From your GP.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok thanks for your help

You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will be following you for good health. Please remember to rate my answer as this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It's my goal to deliver excellent services, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site. Regards

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
not really, but I don't think I'm describing very well
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't feel like I'm going to fall over it's more spacy kinda feeling

Please clarify your concerns, I am here till you want.

Yes, I agree with you. Actually, as I said that it is sometimes very difficult to pinpoint the cause. I ave told you that ear problem should cause a spinning sensation. If you don't have it, I will not call it an ear problem. In that case, I would definitely want your brain and heart to be checked. By checking the pulse, no one can diagnose heart issues. So MRI and brain scans are recommended and that you should get checked as well.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
You see sometimes it does feel like a spinning sensation, a bit like being drunk if that makes sense

If it feels like spinning then it's the ear. You should try meclizine, if it helps then it will be ear.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok, because my thinking is, when I had the cold I flew quite a lot so is it possible it could have moved to my ears?

Yes, the possibility is there. We can call it a very mild inner ear infection.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think it is a mild inner ear infection, because often afterwards my sinus's feel a little tight and I do also have ringing in my ears - but just not very loudly

Yes dear, try meclizine and don't stress yourself.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it also came on quite suddenly, I'm a little snotty in the morning and I have a tiny sore throat but nothing that makes me want to take anything for it
sorry, you freaked me out with the MRI scan I thought you were saying I had a brain tumor!

Oh no, I never meant a brain tumor dear :)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
phew! haha! I thought my brain was going to stop working and I'd not be able to continue communicating/ moving effectively etc

I am sorry dear.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it's ok it's not your fault :)

Thanks a lot. My best wishes and prayers will be following you for good health. Please remember to rate my answer as this is how we get compensated for our time and effort here for you. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards