Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I have been diagnosed with emphysema about 6 months ago I’m

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with emphysema about 6 months ago I’m 41 years of age I’ve done everything to give up smoking which I am proudly to say I now haven’t smoked for 3 months
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I’m seeing my consultant actually I’m seeing him on Tuesday
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No I’m normally healthy but I’m really struggling coming to terms with this
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 6 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.
Do you know what stage of emphysema you are suffering from?

What medicines are you on now?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m not on any medication it started last Christmas I woke up on Boxing Day and had a cough I had no cold symptoms just the cough it went on for nearly 5 months but in between that time I went to Crawley hospital and was told my lungs were clear but the cough carried on and I went back to my gp she sent me again for a emergency X-ray and 3 days later she called me and told me I had patches on my lungs and was sending me for a ct scan and to go and see a specialist at Horsham hospital which I went to and was told that the patches was not patches but they were holes in my lungs

I am typing out a reply and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, please ignore it, as that is an automated site trigger.

Emphysema is a condition which develops slowly over time and passes through 4 stages.

Stage ! is the mildest and generally does not need any specific treatment unless symptoms develop. Stopping smoking, avoiding air pollution as much as possible, keeping fit and healthy so that respiratory infections do not occur - all of these will help to prevent progression of the condition.

At Stage 1, your prognosis is very good.

I hope this helps.
Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What do you mean by air pollution

Dust , pollen, smoke, Vehicle exhaust, industrial smoke etc.

These will cause inflammation of the air pockets and make emphysema worse.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Seriously I am stuggling with dealing with this and what I’m not aloud to do

Please discuss with your respiratory consultant.

You can also talk with a psychologist who can help you overcome the mental stress you are going through.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do u know what even though I’m stage 1 from what u have said I might aswell give up coz I have all them things in my day to day life

Please talk to a psychologist - you will be greatly helped by the consultation.