neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I have just had a full right hip replacement, since coming

Customer Question

I have just had a full right hip replacement, since coming home from hospital three days ago I am suffering with spasms in my groin as soon as I lie down in bed. It prevents me from sleeping , I feel it would stop if I could change position but I have been advised I must sleep on my back for six weeks, I am afraid I will turn over in the night by accident, the hip itself feels fine, but I am afraid I will do damage to it if I move around. Help
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No not yet as its the weekend, but planning to on Monday.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am taking a raft of medicines, Codeine , anti inflammatory, low sodium tablet , iron tablet etc
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Don't think so
Expert:  neurosurg replied 11 days ago.
Do you have any of the spasms when you were up standing, walking?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Or when I am sitting
Expert:  neurosurg replied 11 days ago.
Do you have any lower back pain at the same time you have the groin pain?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No
Expert:  neurosurg replied 11 days ago.
OK, thanks. It is certainly relatively normal to have some groin pain after hip replacement surgery as the muscles and tendons can be stretched out, causing some pain. Perhaps you can use a pillow under your legs to help flex your hips slightly which may make it more comfortable. Of course, please update your surgeon as well, because if you continue to have worseningOf severe pain, they would want to investigate and make sure that there was no issue with the hardware itself.
Expert:  neurosurg replied 7 days ago.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!