Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

In September I had an attack of gout and was prescribed with

In September I had an attack of gout and was prescribed with Colchicine tablets. That lasted only a couple of days but my doctor sent me for a blood sample and last week prescribed Allopurinol (100mg) tablets to be taken once a day but said (I think) that I should take 2x Colchicine (500microgram) at the same time. Is this the right dosage and should I be taking both or have I misheard
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I Take ramapril, atorvastatin, clopidogrel and Naftidrofuryl and am not allergic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No. I am just concerned about taking the wrong medication and I thought I would check I was doing right with the Allopurnol and colchicine. All the other meds are for circulation, blood pressure etc
Hi. When one starts allopurinol it’s necessary to take colchicine also for a week or two. That’s because allopurinol lowers the uric acid level and can cause an acute attack of gout. That’s why we use both together for around two weeks. Then the colchicine can be stopped
Another option is to continue colchicine with the allopurinol until the uric acid level is down to normal. I prefer this method.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you - that was very helpful
There are different regimes that docs use but initially colchicine and allopurinol need to be taken together.
The dose of colchicine is correct.
Glad to help. I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks