How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 48348
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now

I keep getting UTI’s, I go to the doctors when I once

This answer was rated:

Hi I keep getting UTI’s, I go to the doctors when I once symptoms, get the anti biotics but after a week or so another starts. I have one now and am in extreme pain going down my right side. It’s not normal to of had 3/4 in a year is it?
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: about 3 days now, pain killers did work but not so much now
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: im allergic to penicillin

Welcome to Just Answer.
The answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

What is your age?

What are the investigations done for recurrent UTIs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m 18, my birthday was in October. Whenever I went to the doctors about this they never really accorded the fact it was reoccurring. So they just gave me the same antibiotics each time and never made a link. To test if I had a uti I would do a urine sample

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The ideal thing is to do a urine culture, for a UTI. Culture will tell the best antibiotic to eradicate the infection and prevent the recurrence.

So if your doctor had not done it, ask for the culture test.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am worried I may have something wrong with my kidneys because of the right side pain or maybe stones in the bladder if that’s a thing? How would I go about to get it checked

You can get an ultrasound which is the best way to rule out any other issue.

Following approach for the chronic/recurrent urinary tract infection may be helpful (this is a stepwise approach);

1) Estimation of residual urine. This is done by an ultrasound examination. An ultrasound is done with a full bladder. Then you are asked to void and ultrasound is repeated. If there is a residual urine amount of more than 50 ml; that is considered as a significant amount. High residual urine in the bladder will not let the UTI eradicated. In high residual urine following investigations would be done;

a) CMG (cystometrogram); this tells about the bladder muscle and sphincter functions. A problem in these would not let the bladder empty properly and thus the recurrent UTI.

b) Pelvic floor EMG; tells about the pelvic muscle dysfunctions and help in the above.

These will need medications to improve bladder emptying.

2) Medications that alter urinary pH helps in eradicating the recurrent or chronic UTI with the antibiotics.

3) Culture for the mycobacterium; this if grown will need a different kinds of medication regime specifically for the mycobacterium bacteria which do not respond to the antibiotics.

4) Gynecological examination; to see for the major cystocele (bladder prolapse). This also predisposes for the recurrent UTI.

5) If above do no help the other investigation contemplated are;

a) Cystoscopy; camera exam to look for bladder diverticulum or any other abnormality.

b) MR urography (magnetic resonance urography to look for infective nidus elsewhere in the urinary tract).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** phone my doctors I’ll need to book an emergency appointment to get seen to as quick as possible so it most likely won’t be my GP should I explain to them this conversation so they know it may be more than just an odd UTI?

You are very welcome.

Yes, you need to emphasize to them that it is not a routine UTI but recurrent with abdominal symptoms. That would consider further evaluation, investigations and medical imaging. Also, insist on the culture test.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you