DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have recently had MRI of head which shows low level of csf

I have recently had MRI of head which shows low level of csf at brainstem level. What causes this and how can it be fixed ? Thank u
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: No nothing helps - been feeling unwell for about 6 months
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had a dural tap 21 years ago with my second son where they performed 2 blood patches to rectify

Hello! My name is Dr.Ehtisham. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have any symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I feel breathless, exhausted , head and neck pain , trouble sleeping , restless
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry I said yes to phone call and can't really afford it but I guess it's been taken now ?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Okay no problem I will not call and you will be refunded for the phone call

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank u
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Will we just continue here?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry I've never done this before - will we continue here?

The low CSF can be due to leakage of spinal fluid

Although usually it occur acutely after a spinal tap

It can be fixed with fluids and a blood patch if required to seal the space from where it is leaking

But if there is no such reason then it is something which does not require any specific treatment

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes but spinal tap was 21 years ago - I have recently had a road traffic accident where someone smashed into the side of my car at speed

The low CSF is unlikely to respond to the patch since you haven,t had a recent tap

The trauma can be a contributing factor to it

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm sorry I don't understand. U said it can be fixed with blood patch in previous message and now say it is unlikely to respond to blood patch ?

I am saying that if the cause is a leak of spinal fluid then it can have a blood patch

This is unlikely to be related to the spinal tap so that is why I am not sure if it will respond to blood patch or not

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Therefore if it is unlikely to be related to the spinal tap , are u saying it can be caused by a different more recent leak, if so , would the leak be from brain or spinal cord ? How do they diagnose where it is coming from and lastly - what usually causes a leak in this area ? Thank you

A cisternogram can be used to detect any leak so you must discuss this with your neurologist

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes, what usually causes such leaks please ,?.

Usually it is due to trauma

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is there any other way to fix other than blood patch and any other way to diagnose location rather than cisternogram as surely this also causes exactly the issue we are trying to fix ?

This is the most useful way to seal the leak

You can confirm the leak with cisternogram and if found then can have a patch

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My question re cisternogram tho ? This causes the same problem as that which we are trying to resolve surely ?

Yes but that complication does not happens to everyone and the chances are very low

There is no other way to be absolutely sure of a leak other than this

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What do you mean that complication doesn't happen to everyone - if they have to inject into the csf area of course it will create another hole which will of course leak and need a blood patch also ?.

No most of these holes are very small and recover on their own without any treatment

So only 5-10% require a blood patch

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yep, and I think they told me only approx 2% of epidurals cause a rural tap ��

Yes so you should go for a cisternogram

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can this low level of fluids in this area be caused by anything else? Is it dangerous ? Do I need to rush the neurologist referral as it is still not through ?

No you don,t need to rush to a Neurologist and it can stay like this without any problem

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Lastly , can it be caused by anything else ? When u say "trauma" .. the only trauma I have suffered is from car accident ?

Mainly it is due to trauma causing leakage

Sometime production can be reduced as well

In that case usually there is no specific treatment

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

You are welcome