Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

This is an odd question hence coming to the forum. My

Hello, this is an odd question hence coming to the forum. My husband tells me I masterbate in my sleep - I have absolutely no idea and this is causing stress in our marriage. How do I stop this?
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No and nothing
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

I can understand, this can cause issues.

This is called parasomnia.

The majority of the time, this may stop on its own. If it does not you may need;

1) Clonazepam

2) Relaxation techniques

The important points to understand are;

A. These are benign events and do not need treatment usually.

B. Following associated conditions should be ruled out;

1) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

2) Sleep apnea

C. Adequate sleep of 8-9 hours should be assured.

D. Benzodiazepines, tricyclic antidepressants, and serotonin reuptake inhibitors medicines can be used if the events are recurring and frequent.

E. Parasomnias are not associated with any long-term sequelae.

You may need an evaluation at a sleep clinic.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.