Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I started having a cold almost three weeks ago which

I started having a cold almost three weeks ago which developed from sneezing into a bad cough and now has subsequently cleared up. I also had a blocked ear for almost three weeks but it is now much improved. However, I often hear a ringing noise from it. I saw the doctor a couple of days ago whoinspected my ear and said that everything appeared clear now and there was no longer any blockage. Why am I still receiving a ringing noise from my ear and how long does it take to clear up please?
Paul

Hello, my name is Dr Uzair and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

It takes some time for inflammation in the ear and sinuses to go back to normal thus the ringing sound. The good thing is the ear exam is normal. Just continue steam inhalation and Ibuprofen of and on and most likely it will improve in next week.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
So this is quite normal because I thought the ringing would subside once the ear became unblocked and there was no longer any infection.

Yes, it is normal and can take a while after the blockage settles.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your help.

My pleasure.