Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

In the last few years I have increasingly worsening skin on

Hi,In the last few years I have increasingly worsening skin on my hands. The skin on my fingertips cracked easily and initially this was only on my thumb. The skin is now quite bad on 4 of my fingers. I have now additionally developed some really itchy red patches on the sides of the thumbs and a bit on top of my left hand.What could be the cause of it? Is there a way for a pictureto be loaded?Thanks
This is Dr David. Yes you can upload a photo. So you see the file upload button. How old are you? What do you eat regularly? How much water do you drink? These can affect the skin
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am 43 y.o. female. I drink coffee and tea daily with milk. I eat everything except seafood. I try to drink water as much as possible.
Yes I see those cracks on your fingers. Do you wash dishes? You need to do several things. Cut out gluten, flour, cereal out of your diet, take vitamin D3 2000-4000IU daily, eat 60-70g of protein and more fruits and vegetables, drink more water, use lanolin or Aquafore on your fingers and cover with cotton glove at night time when you sleep, wear gloves when washing dishes
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yea, I wash dishes nearly daily but not too many. Mentioning bit D, I used to have deficiency few years ago but it went up in the norm. I do take however some bit D supplements from time to time
Eating more good fats like 1/2 avacados daily and eating more protein in your meals and fruits and vegetables can help. You have to improve your diet to help your skin to heal. Cut out gluten and bread and pasta.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is this type of skin sign of gluten intolerance?!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
And I have also gained quite a lot of weight. I thought the gluten intolerance is related more to weight loss
It can be. Gluten and flour is inflammatory to your body. You don’t want more inflammation on your skin. You need protein and veggies to heal. let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks you
Gluten, flour, cereal, pasta all turn to sugar and cause weight gain