Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

After eating my tongue gets coated with a later or remains

Hi, after eating my tongue gets coated with a white later or remains of the food I ate and I think that causes my breath to go bad later on it the day. Can you help please?
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Been to a dentist and he can't know why and no doctor yet. Also I take iron tablets
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No that's all
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
White tongue is often related to oral hygiene. Your tongue can turn white when the papillae swell up and become inflamed.
Food, and dead cells can all get trapped between the enlarged papillae. This collected debris is what turns your tongue white after eating.
All of these conditions can cause white tongue:
Poor brushing and flossing
dry mouth
breathing through your mouth
dehydration
Smoking or chewing tobacco
alcohol use.
A white tongue may not need to be treated. This symptom often clears up on its own of you keep good oral hygiene and avoid the foods that are causing irritation.
You may be able to remove the white coating from your tongue by gently brushing it with a soft toothbrush. Or softly run a tongue scraper across your tongue.
Drinking lots of water can also help flush bacteria and debris out of your mouth.
Biotene oral rinse can also help your by keeping your mouth hydrated.
Chewing sugar free gum can also be beneficial.
I hope it helps.
Please feel free to ask any questions if you have.
If you are satisfied please CLICK the stars on the top of your screen to rate me.
This is the only way I get compensated.
I appreciate it!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for your answer I'll try sugar free gum. I've tried biotene and drinking lots of water. I don't some and also don't believe it's a hygiene problem because I brush floss and clean my tongue
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there any more I can do?
If it is not helping, you can discuss with your doctor the possibility of underlying oral thrush!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What is oral thrush?
Oral fungal infection..it can also be a possibility.
It is common and usually treated with antifungal medications!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay thanks, you've been very helpful
You are very welcome.
Good luck!