Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I'm aware of RLS, and while don't suffer from this as soon

Hi. I'm aware of RLS, and while don't suffer from this as soon as I fall asleep, my torso jerk violently and wake me up. It's driving me crazy.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My doctor was supposed to send me to a neurologist, but nothing came of it,
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, it's just me.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a common cause of sleep disruption.

RLS can develop as a result of certain conditions or factors, particularly iron deficiency and peripheral neuropathy. Other causes are folate or magnesium deficiency, amyloidosis, diabetes mellitus, lumbosacral radiculopathy, or vitamin B-12 deficiency. The other causes to consider would be;

1) Neuropathy
2) Nocturnal leg cramps
3) Peripheral Vascular Disease
4) Radiculopathy

Following investigations are advised;

1) A complete iron panel including iron levels, ferritin, transferrin saturation, and total iron-binding capacity.

2) BUN,

3) creatinine,

4) magnesium,

5) thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH),

6) vitamin B-12, and folate.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Avoidance of caffeine, alcohol, or nicotine (if take them).

2) Exercise before bedtime

3) Medications

a) Pramipexole (Mirapex)

b) Ropinirole hydrochloride (Requip).

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello. It's not RLS as such.My torso will suddenly twitch when I attempt to sleep

Okay, I am writing you a detailed answer, please wait for 5 minutes.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'd love a live chat, but as an unemployed carer for my elderly parents, I simply don't have the funds.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control, as mentioned.

Sleep starts are a normal phenomenon occurring in persons of all sexes and all ages with a prevalence of 70%. They presumably arise from sudden descending volleys that originate in the brainstem reticular formation and are activated by the instability of the system at the transition between wake and sleep. Only occasionally do they become excessive, and, in most cases, subside spontaneously, without any treatment. So you should not be worried. Sleep starts are also called as hypnic jerks.

Hypnic jerks are common and have been experienced by almost everyone at one time or another. Only on occasion are the hypnic jerks excessive and bothersome to the individual. If the jerks are excessive prior to sleep, the other causes to consider would be;

1) periodic and aperiodic involuntary movements that are relatively commonly seen in patients with RLS (restless leg syndrome). In a minority of patients with RLS, these movements may be more prominent than the leg discomfort and may be very rapid or myoclonic in speed. In some cases, these very rapid movements in RLS patients during wakefulness electrophysiologically show the characteristics of propriospinal myoclonus, which is initiated by nerve fibers of spinal cord origin.

According the new International Classification of Sleep Disorders, sleep starts (hypnic jerks) are characterized as follows: the patient complains of sudden brief jerks at sleep onset, mainly affecting the legs or arms; and the jerks are associated with at least one condition from among a subjective feeling of falling, a sensory flash, or a hypnagogic dream. In addition, the disorder must not be better explained by another sleep disorder, medical or neurologic disorder, mental disorder, medication use, or substance use disorder

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No problem.
I'll wait for your written reply.

Were you able to see my reply above?

It seems we have crossed each other in cyberspace!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry about that. I was just reading your reply. I now know what the term for this is, so I can now inform my doctor that it's hypnic jerks.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you doctor. I may well be returning. You deserve a 5 star rating.

You are welcome.