Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My daughter is 2 years old and the gp has said she has viral

My daughter is 2 years old and the gp has said she has viral tonsillitis, she has white spots in her throat could this be tonsil stones or tonsillitis?

Hello, my name is Dr. Uzair and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Tonsil stones are calcium deposits on the tonsils and occur when tonsilitis is recurrent and has occurred many times or frequently. Most of the time, the white spots that are visible on the tonsils are food particles and debris that accumulate in the fold of the inflamed mucosa over the swollen tonsils. These spots go away when the infection and the inflammation settles down. So, if this is the first time she has had tonsilitis then these are not tonsil stones.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Would this be viral or bacterial tonsillitis? She is also having her flu vaccine on Friday can she still have this done with tonsillitis?

Thank you for your response.

If she has a high-grade fever and pustules on her tonsils then this is bacterial. If the fever is slow onset and remains low grade without any chills or rigors then this is viral.

If she has a fever over 101, then the flu shot should be postponed to when she has fully recovered.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She has no fever but has white spots is this still bacterial? Also if she has tonsillitis but no fever can she still have the vaccine?

Yes, she can get the flu shot if she doesn't have a fever.

And if she doesn't have a fever, then this is not bacterial.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can tonsillitis cause snoring in toddlers

Yes, it can cause snoring in toddlers.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is this dangerous at all tonsillitis

Tonsilitis is not dangerous. It is something that is very common in children.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank u

You're welcome.

Take good care.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry one last question, my toddler was given antibiotics just incase she got worse which I started and she has to take it 4 times a day her last dose was at 10 tonight but couldn't wake her for it she refused it, if I carry on as normal tomorrow will they still work, I started them late today that's why it was a late last dose

Yes, they will still work.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My daughter has been on antibiotics twice in the last two months will this do her harm or stop her eventually responding to antibiotics