Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I’ve had severe pain in my left testicle 2/3 years ago, went

I’ve had severe pain in my left testicle 2/3 years ago, went to a gp was told it was a sist and wouldn’t cause any harm, however was told if the pain got more painful or went to the right side could be a more serious problem, last few months my right testicle has been more painful than ever before what should I do
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: around 3 to 5 years and nothing usually helps apart from kneeling down and taking deep breaths pain can last around 20-30minutes
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing connecting to the pain

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- Any medical problems or previous surgery?

- Any medications?

- What is your height and weight?

- Do you smoke?

- Do you exercise or play sports?

- What is your occupation?

- What investigations have you had for this problem?

- What treatments have been tried so far?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
21 , just back pain from an injury 6years ago, nope, 5ft 9/10 , 10stone approx, yes, nope, I’m a chef work 10hours minimum a day, went to a gp they felt both testicles said the left testicle had a sist and said if the pain went to the right testicle seek medical attention, however I haven’t as I’ve been busy with multiple jobs
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No treatments were given was told it shouldn’t be any problem as long as the pain doesn’t go from the left side to the right

Okay, many thanks.

I suggest returning to see your doctor for a repeat examination and to arrange an ultrasound scan of the testes. I am not suspecting anything sinister to account for your symptoms, but these tests will hopefully help to identify a cause and guide appropriate treatment (though around 50% of cases can be idiopathic i.e. no clear cause is found). As mentioned, treatment usually depends on the cause, however if you are struggling a lot in the meantime, 10-20mg of either Amitriptyline or Nortriptyline daily (at night) can often be beneficial.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay am I best going to a gp or a walk in centre / A&E also can I pick up the medicines at a pharmacy or do I need a prescription
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Yes very helpful

It will be best to attend your GP to organise all these things. These are prescription-only medications.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Yes I’ve had serve back pain since I have been 17 I slipped down 12 concrete stairs I’ve been the gp 3 separate times at different areas and all I’ve been told is there not sure probably mussel pain but it causes me to have trouble sleeping and can be uncomfortable at any point in time, I’ve had three different medicines even when on these i still felt the pain

Ask to be referred for Physiotherapy - they will perform a thorough assessment of your back/spine and offer appropriate treatment as well as being able to advise if further investigation such a scan would be helpful. By coincidence, the above medications can often be effective for treatment of chronic lower back pain too.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay thank you very much