DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I am a lab worker. During work, i think a spec of dried

I am a lab worker. During work, i think a spec of dried blood that was sitting inside the centrifuge inserts might have gone in to my eye as i was cleaning it. I am worried aboout it and wanted your advice. The specs can be seen in the photo.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Eye protection by spectacles is standard precaution in lab workers. Any dried blood speck will be free of virus as they do not survive dryness.

You must have had hepatitis B vaccine already and may get periodically tested for hiv.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear Dr,
Thank you for your reply. As a lab worker i always wear my goggles to protect my eyes when handling specimens. At that specific moment, i was not handling any samples. I held one of the centrifuge inserts upside down and some dried blood specs as seen in the photo fell out of it. I have had all my hep vaccinations up to date. I got really worried if the dried blood contained any active hiv virus this is why i wrote to you. I only got tested for hiv a month ago as a standard routine which i do every year and was negative. Because of this incident that only happened a couple of days ago should i get tested again? From what you told me the virus is dead in dry blood so i should be ok... i just need reasurrance because i am really worried and stressed over this.
Thabk you again.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just wanted to clarify that as i was not handling samples at the time of the incident i did not have my goggles on and this is why i got so scared for possible infection from dried blood. Any other time i always wear my protective specs.

Thanks. Yes you are safe.