Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I was diagnosed with stage 2 her2+ breast cancer August

hi - i was diagnosed with stage 2 her2+ breast cancer August 2017. I have been in remission since treatment finished. Yesterday I had blood test results that showed a dramatic increase in liver enzymes as follows: GGT 11 to 115, AST 18 to 79, 15 to 103, ALP 47 to 71 since 24/10. Tumour markers CA1-53 and LDH remain unchanged. Please advise if these are indicative of liver metastises. Many thanks, annie

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

The enzyme elevation is not very high, and coupled with the fact that tumor markers and LDH are normal, the possibility of metastasis is extremely unlikely.

But to be sure about it, imaging should be done. Ultrasound of the liver will be helpful as an initial modality and the liver enzymes should also be repeated, and if still high or not improving, then PET CT should be done to make sure there are no metastasis.

Was it helpful?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry - the above should have read ....AST 18 to 79, ATP 15 to 103.....
It's a relief to hear that the enzyme elevation is not very high. However I am concerned that the GGT has increased tenfold to 115. Can you suggest what might be causing it. I drink red wine only and at very low levels.
many thanks, annie

The most common cause is wine and alcohol.

Fatty liver.

Viral infections.

But the elevation is mild, it just needs monitoring for the time being.

Abstain from alcohol.

Less fats in diet.

Exercise. All will help.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question. Bonus Always helpful.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.