Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My husband has mild bronchiectasis can you suggest any

Customer Question

Hi, my husband has mild bronchiectasis can you suggest any treatment we can do to elevate his symptoms?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, my husband is under QMH for this and has been shown breathing exercises. He also has an inhaler. Just wondered if we could try anything else.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really. They have also diagnosed my husband with chronic nasal sinusitus but he feels his airways are clear. It''s the coughing that irritates him and he is now chesty with it. We thing he has caught a cold on top of all this. He has had the flu and pneumonia jab too.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: 4 years. No other symptoms. Breathing dosen't seem to be a problem. He brings up phelm occassionally.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 days ago.

What is his age?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
63

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 3-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Pulmonary rehabilitation is the mainstay of the treatment. The following are advised;

1) Exercise prescription is targeted at 60% of the maximal workload for about 20-30 minutes, repeated 2-5 times a week. An interval training regimen consisting of 2-3 minutes of high-intensity training (60-80% maximal exercise capacity) alternating with equal periods of rest might be a substitute for patients who cannot tolerate sustained activity.

2) Respiratory muscle training and deep breathing exercises.

3) Psychosocial and behavioral intervention to handle anxiety, depression, difficulties in coping with chronic lung disease.

4) Even passive smoking should be avoided.

5) Supplemental oxygen therapy.

6) Chest physical therapy.

7) Respiratory infections if present, should be promptly treated.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No thank you

How may I help you further?

Wishing you all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.