Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have fluid running down my nose to the back of my throat

Hi I have fluid running down my nose to the back of my throat and I think I have an infection. How can I stop this from happening? It's been ongoing is starting to release a really bad odour when I breathe or speak
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you have a cough?
Customer: Years. I'm meant to have N appointment with a throat and nose specialist but it's not until March 2020 and the problem is getting worse
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I've tried nasal sprays prescribed by my doctor but it doesnt work

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis. Your GP may consider x-rays and a CT scan of the sinuses and prescribe you a course of antibiotics.

Some physicians may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroids; decrease inflammation and open up the obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (saltwater) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. The following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for your detailed response. My Gp is booked up for a while, is it worth going to A&E to be seen sooner for the xray and to get prescriptions? Are there any brands you can recommend I buy? Many Thanks

You are very welcome.

You may go to the A&E.

The antibiotics of the choice would be Amoxicillin Clavulanic acid combination. Cetirizine also may help you with pseudoephedrine.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.