RK
RK, Doctor
Experience:  MD, DM
14495901

After suffering a tooth ache for weeks, I visited the

Hi there, After suffering a tooth ache for weeks, I visited the dentist. She informed me that I had a cavity in my molar (furthest back, top right). The next day, during my next appointment, she informed me that she felt as though my tooth has a fracture below the gum line and probably cannot be saved. She didn’t seem too sure about it though, and hadn’t identified this during the first appointment so my question is, is there a chance she will change her mind and offer another kind of procedure as opposed to tooth extraction?
Assistant: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: After getting a filling done two days ago, the pain has reduced to the point where it is negligible
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, nothing in particular

Thanks for posting your query.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

How did she diagnose the fracture which she missed earlier?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the prompt response. I don’t remember precisely. Although, what I do remember is she mentioned a fracture and she mentioned infection seeming as though it had spread past the gum line. She made this assessment with the help of an X-ray.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there, I’d like to cancel the phone call request
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully I haven’t already been charged for it?

I have cancelled the phone call request.

We can chat here

There are various treatments available for tooth fracture. It depends on which part of the tooth is involved.

For fractures below the gum line, nothing much can be done and the fractured tooth has to be removed.

Your tooth fracture is below the gum line.

So the only option available is to remove the fractured tooth.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. Another thing I’d like to know is how immediately I’d need to have the extraction done?...After having the cavity filled, The toothache is now almost unnoticeable...would that suggest that my condition has become less severe?

Since the pain has reduced it indifates it has become less severe.

Watch out for symptoms like increased sensitivity while eating and drinking.

Do you have anymore questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes, I’m now wondering how long is a safe period of time to leave the tooth in there without having an extraction? I’m essence, how long do you imagine I can delay the procedure?

Were you prescribed antibiotics?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, none at all

Okay.

You can postpone the extraction till you get any symptoms like pain, increased sensitivity, discomfort while eating and drinking.

Do you have anymore questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, and so, will the condition of this tooth necessarily get worse and impede on health, or is there kind of way to perhaps not restore it to point where it’s fully healthy, but preserve it for a substantial amount of time (I’m hoping to save the tooth for as long as possible)

You can preserve it for a substantial amount of time.

Unless it gets infected or causing any discomfort you can preserve it for a longer period of time.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

The chat window is open.

Do you have anymore questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright. Additionally, the X-ray I had shows that a wisdom tooth has manifested in the gum and (we anticipate) it should come through soon (I’m 19 about to turn 20). If I have my molar extracted, will the wisdom tooth and other adjacent molar shift awkwardly to fill in the gap? I heard that this gap can cause issues such as this.

It may try to fill in the gap.

But it need not be awkward.

If there are no more questions, kindly rate this service by clicking on the stars above.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it okay if I postpone the chat (but not end it completely) in case I remember other questions that I’ve had in mind later on in the day?

You can rate it now by clicking on the stars above.

The chat window will remain open only.