Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I am suffering really badly from extreme paranoia and

Hi I am suffering really badly from extreme paranoia and anxiety too the point its affecting my relationship I need some sort of medication too control this I just dont know where too turn too. I am not currently registered at a GP as I'm waiting for my papers to be signed over from my previous doctors.
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: At least a year maybe even 2. I just overthink massively and cant seem too relax
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing that I know about

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

It is absolutely critical that you register with a local GP as soon as you can. There shouldn’t be any reason for a delay due to changing GP/moving area. If necessary, the local GP can see you as a ‘temporary resident’ initially.

Once this is done, make an urgent appointment with the GP to discuss the problems in detail.

I’m sure one of the recommendations will be to access the local NHS psychotherapy service. You can preempt this and speed up the process by referring yourself now - this varies a little depending on which part of the country you are in but typically it is an online self-referral. Find the relevant website by searching: “IAPT [your location]”.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Just a courtesy follow up as I have not heard back from you.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have registered with a GP and they are seeing me tonight, what would be the best sort of anti depressants to be put on as these have been advised by a and e at the weekend? Are there any side effects to these at all?

I would discuss the best option with your doctor as they will have a good overall view of the issues after their assessment.

However, as a rule Escitalopram is highly effective and well tolerated (as per a large comparative study in The Lancet last year) and is now my favoured choice. Temporary nausea and heightened anxiety are relatively common within the first few days of commencing, but these symptoms reliably settle and can be minimised by starting at a low dose (2.5mg daily) and gradually building up as tolerated.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok great thanks. From your experience how do these tablets effect your patient's mindset long term does it cure or at least minimalise the constant feelings of paranoia and anxiety?

Yes, usually very helpful, but the best/longer lasting effects are achieved when combined with psychotherapy and positive lifestyle changes.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Finally, I dont know if it will help at all but will anti depressants improve premature ejaculation when having intercourse as i have found when i am more stressed i dont last long in bed at all and it has become quite embarrassing.

Yes, it is very likely that premature ejaculation will be improved by this type of anti-depressant medication.