Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Ive been having acid relux an a sharp pain behind my right

Customer Question

Hi ive been having acid relux an a sharp pain behind my right breastbone into my shoulder joint
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: On an off.the last last month.It stop for 2 weeks now its back
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I always take avamys for my nose
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 17 days ago.

Dear Customer,

Can you tell me your age? Any other medical conditions you currently have?

Do you take any medicines for your acid reflux?

Since when are you suffering from GERD?(Acid Reflux)

waiting for your reply

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
42
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I take nasal spray

Thank you for your reply,

Avamys works locally, does not cause acid reflux. You may continue to use it.

Acid reflux is a disorder which can improve if lifestyle changes are undertaken.

At present, you may require to take PPI's like Pantoprazole 20-40 mg a day for 2-3 weeks. For the complete resolution of your symptoms.

Additionally, it is prudent to get an ECG to rule out any cardiac etiology. Which is unlikely as you have no such worrisome symptoms.

Finally, I suggest the following lifestyle changes.

Try to avoid spicy, hot, acidic foods.

Avoid medicines which cause acidity like Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin IB

Don't smoke tobacco, or use alcohol.

Try to maintain healthy weight

Raise the head of your bed while you sleep, to keep acid down.

Daily physical exercise, you may join some yoga or mindfulness meditation, to get inner peace and look positively at your situation. Being self-critical and having negative thoughts called ANT's automatic negative thoughts can bring stress. This causes increased acid production.

Joining sports suitable to your age and fitness would help to bring positive thoughts to you. Indirectly help you to maintain your weight.

Eating fresh healthy food, avoiding junk food.

Most importantly follow eating fresh foods and avoiding all food with preservatives is important.

If food is available in packages with an expiry date of a few months, it is best to avoid it as far as possible.

Recently there has been a lot of attention on chewing food 40 times before swallowing, so it can be absorbed correctly and many other benefits including increasing helpful in acid control.

Try to sleep only after 2 hours of finishing Dinner.

All these changes would help in reducing acid production.

As far as possible sleep early around 9 PM and have uninterrupted sleep for 8 hours at least.

Our body releases melatonin from the brain at night. Thus maintain your circadian rhythm.

Lifestyle modification and proper control of ANT's ( automatic negative thoughts) is a proper way to go, this will reduce your stress and help in GERD

With the above, you will definitely feel your symptoms are more manageable.

Please know my goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-Star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know.

It is my pleasure to assist you.

Dear Customer,

were you able to read my answer?

Do you have any further questions?

Did I answer your question?