Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Runny nose all the time and when nend down a very sour smell

Runny nose all the time and when nend down a very sour smell in nostrils. Had for sometime but inpast few months worse. Also variable loss of smell and especially when using cleaning products in the home whihc then seem to lessen my tastebuds. Is it sinus issues . many many years ago i had sinus issues
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: Longtime but the snmell more frequent now. No breathihng issues just the right nostril in particular gets runny and then feel the inner nasal swells and is sore
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No have hearing issues for many years and now use hearing aids

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Nasal polyps.

2) Sinusitis.

A coronal CT of the sinuses and/or fiberoptic nasal endoscopy is diagnostic for it. Some physicians may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroids; decrease inflammation and open up the obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (saltwater) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. The following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

You may also be looked for GERD, which has increasingly been implicated in causing or exacerbating chronic sinusitis. The exact relationships and mechanisms are presently a matter of speculation, though.

Consulting an ENT (ear, nose throat) specialist would be prudent.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
amany thanks for the help

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.