Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and am currently taking

I have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and am currently taking tramadol 400mg per day and amitriptyline 125mg per day. These drugs help with pain around 75% of the time but my GP states that there is nothing else they can give me for breakthrough pain when I have a flare up which although it is all over my body, it particularly effects my hips and lower back to the point that I am stuck in bed. Is there anything else I could take?
Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no recent injuries - have tried tens machine, hot and cold, baths etc - nothing helps during a flare up. 75% of the time my current prescribed drugs work to make my Iain manageable (they don’t take it away but I can manage).
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have complex-PTSD and take 225mg of lamotrigine and have been diagnosed with chronic migraines and I take topiramate daily for these.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Both neurontin and Lyrica could help with the breakthrough pain so ask your doctor about those

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I did previously try Gabapentin and went up to the maximum dose of 3600mg a day but I didn’t feel it helped so GP stated that these meds may not help me

Other options would be Cymbalta, Flexeril and diazepam

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your help - unfortunately my GP took me off cymbalta when I was given amitriptyline as they said I couldn’t taken them together and I already get diazepam - allowance of 2 x 2mg tabs -3 times a day which does not help nor will any GP increase this. Looks like I am just going to have to suffer or attempt to buy something online though I do know this is dangerous but I am prepared to risk that to help with the pain. Thanks again for your help

Acupuncture and yoga are other considerations

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am attending acupuncture just now. Thanks. I have tried all of the lifestyle changers which have been recommended. Diet, Pacing exercise, no alcohol, stopped smoking, it is only when I have a flare up that my normal pain relief is not enough. I have an appt with pain consultant on April but struggling to cope until then. As I said I will find something online and it looks like my GP was correct and tyre was nothing else I could take.
Thank you for all your help.

Sorry for your troubles