How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 21543
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

Assistant: How can I help? i’m 52, periods fairly regular

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i’m 52, periods fairly regular but extremely heavy, I’m on HRT which has helped sweats etc. I’m going to Australia for a month to see my son and he has booked various activities including snorkelling, boat tours etc. I am extremely worried about having a period whilst away as it is almost impossible to leave the house as it so heavy (also lasts around 8/9 days) is there any medication that would see me through the holiday?
Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Yes fairly painful but manage to get by with painkillers, they are around every 30 days
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’m on blood pressure medication

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You can see your gynecologist for the prescription of the drug called norethisterone which should be started at least 3 days before the next period and can be delayed for up to 2 weeks.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, I will be away for 4 weeks so need something to cover me for a longer length of time, is there anything else I could take?

You're welcome.

You can get contraceptive pills which can help regulate your cycles but again you need to see a gynecologist for detailed evaluation.

Dr Uzair and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you