Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Unsure how this works ... but had a very uncomfortable

Good morning unsure how this works ... but had a very uncomfortable experience recently ... was at work under stress but the brain all of a sudden felt like it was burning cells / frazzled ... on top of the head towards the front (in the cognitive section I’ve discovered) since the 1 / 2 second experience I couldn’t do my job anymore ... (I’m a finance person) and had to ask the person I was on the Phone to to help me ... I’ve been off work since ... hoping it was just stress but it felt so odd ... like I had cells wiped out ?
Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: I am suffering from befuddlement / dizziness / slowness of thought ... I feel like a zombie
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’ve had no brain related issues previously ... but whilst now being treated for stress am struggling to do Microsoft excel tasks or puzzles ... and have lost confidence in my brains ability ... fear going to new places driving or walking ... I just would like to know what that sensation was ... like brain was shaking internally whilst burning happened only lasted 1 or 2 seconds ... but as I say couldn’t do what I was doing immediately afterwards

Dear Customer,

I am reviewing your query and will reply in a short while.

Thank you for your patience.

Dear Customer, you say, you are struggling with tasks, fearful of going to new places, driving. Were these tasks easy before this episode?

Previously you were able to go to new places, driving was easy before?

During that episode, did you have any physical symptoms in your body, loss of balance? decreased strength in any part of your body, any symptoms following the episode? Headache, nausea?

Currently what treatment are you taking for stress? any medication?

Did you get any investigations like brain CT done?

Kindly reply.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes I’ve had a CT and MRI and CT clear and MRI I’ve had a few doctors look at ... the radiologist said I had an atrophy that was disproportionate to my age but doctor felt it looked ok ... I lost no strength ... but yes i couldn’t do what was easy for me before ... I’ve only used this service once ... I’m assuming that my membership with just answer covers all questions and answers are covered by that one payment I made 25 mins ago with them ? Sorry to ask but never used it before

Thank you for your reply.

From your history, the differntial diagnosis would be TIA, transient ischaemic attack. But you would to be investigated further to be confirmed.

following additional information would be required.

1) Blood pressure

2) Lipid Profile( cholesterol level)

3)Fasting blood sugar and PPBS

4) Cardiac evaluation with echocardiography.

5)Carotid ultrasonography

6) Amino acid Homocysteine levels

Your physician may also ask for CTA, MRA

If it confirmed as TIA, following precautions need to be taken

1) stop cigarette smoking

2)Physical exercise

3) Reducing salt and fat

4)Limit Alcohol or stop it

5)never use illicit drugs

6) Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables

Finally, medicines will need to be prescribed to correct any abnormality found with the investigations done.

The risk factors will need correction through lifestyle changes and medicines.

You will need proper evaluation by your physician.

Blood pressure needs to be properly monitored and most important.

Kindly tell me if that makes sense. Have you discussed TIA with your physician?

I hope that helps.

Please know my goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-Star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know.

It is my pleasure to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sons TIA could explain the burning sensation ... and the loss of ability to do something simple ? Most of those above bloods etc were carried out ... only medicine I’m on now is venoflaxine for nerves / anxiety ... but I’m not getting any better ... ?

Thank you for your reply,

That is good to know. Your investigations were all within normal limits.

The episode you experienced is sometimes observed in normal and healthy people due to excessive stress. Please do not worry about it, as you have been thoroughly investigated and no abnormalities found. You may be undergoing a lot of stress. No other reason to worry.

You have been prescribed an antidepressant, which is also very good for anxiety in the long term.

Please know antidepressant-like venlafaxine takes 3-4 weeks to start acting.

You are on the correct treatment, but you may also add cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) along with the current medication.

Together they are very effective, slowing once you learn all the thought control principles from CBT you may slowly taper and stop medicines if you want to, maybe after 6 months or so. But long term therapy is very safe with antidepressants.

You may add some of the following lifestyle changes which may suit you.

you will need to learn to analyze the underlying cause for your worries and thoughts. this can be learned with CBT.

You may consider joining some yoga or mindfulness meditation, to get inner peace. Joining sports suitable to your age and fitness would help bringing positive thoughts to you. Eating fresh healthy food, avoiding junk food. Many studies conclude that Omega 3 Fatty acids 1-2 Gms per day help in keeping us positive. Low levels of Vitamin D cause a low mood. Kindly check your Vitamin D levels.

As far as possible sleep early around 9 PM and have uninterrupted sleep for 8 hours at least. Our body releases melatonin from the brain at night. Thus maintain your circadian rhythm.

Try to spend time outdoors in Sunlight, studies have shown that exposure to sunlight elevates mood.

Most importantly, you will need to learn to control your thoughts. Try to learn proven methods of thought control to relieve depression and anxiety by learning about Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ( from books like "Feeling Good" by David Burns. Also, you may add some techniques from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy ACT ( from books like "Happiness Trap"). Another excellent book is The upward Spiral. If you would like to listen to books, you may use Audible.

Lifestyle modification and proper control of ANT's ( automatic negative thoughts) is a proper way to go.

Try the methods suggested above.

I would be happy to assist you further if required. It is my pleasure to clarify anything you may require.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars, by clicking the 5 stars above with your mouse ( or with your finger on a mobile device).

Thank You.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok so you can have bad brain burn and lose your ability to do something (as it felt like cells being burnt) and whilst dizzy and dopey now it can all perhaps be put down so stress ... as I’ve not been the same since that burn / frazzle incident

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your reply.

These are subjective experiences, which can be varied and very personal to the person experiencing them. No such condition is defined or recognized in medicine. Except that, these are experienced by people who are under stress. There is nothing worrisome in your episode.

Your CT scan and MRI scan were normal. There is absolutely nothing wrong organically to worry about in your history. These are thoughts produced by a stressed and worried mind.

Nothing like this is described. I request you to follow above lifestyle changes which you are comfortable with and especially those which interest you. And work hard to forget this experience, and not attribute any of your current symptoms to it.

But continue taking Venlafaxine and learn CBT. Life will improve slowly and this difficult phase of your life will be forgotten.

Many patients with such experiences have found that cognitive behaviour therapy is very effective.

Please let me know if you have any further queries. I am committed to answering all your questions until you are fully satisfied.

It is only way we get compensated for the time spent on the site helping customers.

Giving a positive reply does not complete our conversation, you can continue any questions, you may have.

A bonus would be appreciated.

Thank You.

The last thing I would like to mention is, since this episode occurred only once.

It is not worrisome. You can safely move on with your life without any worries.

were you able to read my answer?

Do you have any further questions?

Did I answer your question?