Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My symptoms are; extreme chesty cough to the point it’s

Customer Question

My symptoms are; extreme chesty cough to the point it’s making me vomit. Blocked nose. My eyes are burning. I have a migraine and cannot stand with out feel like my head is underwater. I have been like this for a week now and no cold and flu remedies seems to be easing it off, causing me not being able to sleep either.
Any advice would be grateful
Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: daily I can’t get rid of it and the nausea is just when I can’t stop coughing to the point it makes me sick
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 12 days ago.

Your symptoms are typical of chronic sinusitis. A coronal CT of the sinuses and/or fiberoptic nasal endoscopy is diagnostic for it. Some physicians may recommend nasal smear also to differential the allergy and infection. The aim of treatment is; relieve the obstruction, treatment of the infection, if present, thinning the mucus, and opening the sinus. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroids; decrease inflammation and open up the obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (saltwater) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. The following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 days ago.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.